Tuesday, August 3, 2010



Yesterday, we registered Eli for school. He will start 3rd grade this fall. He started attending a small Catholic school when he began all day kindergarten. Forking out the tuition for a semester was not fun, but when I drop him off, it is reassuring that he is receiving a solid Christian educationI was nervous when he began attending, as we are not Catholic and attend our Lutheran church. I found the curriculum is non denominational. Although, the first time I attended children’s mass, I had to giggle when his teacher told him to genuflect by the pew.


I have found his attendance at this school has sparked in depth conversation about our own faith which is always something positive. We are surrounded by a tight knit group of families with under 150 kids in attendance. He will attend through 8th grade. High school will remain a large question mark for the next few years. Sidney will start attending during a 3 day summer program next year for 5 weeks. This will lead up to attending 3 yr old preschool in the fall. I think she is ready now. Outside of her size there are days I contemplate if her birth date is actually accurate and she was premature at birth.

For this reason, I would like to enroll Sidney in daycare for a few hours a week. I write on contract and this would give me the opportunity to expand the work a little bit. I need a solid block of time without interruption, however I feel guilty about doing this. I think it would be great for Sidney as she has no socialization with kids her age during the day. Some might say this is not an issue, however she is most accustomed to interaction with other kids. My fear is the illness coming into our house which is already prevalent with Eli dragging everything in. Ultimately, I will probably wait until she is in school in the fall, but we are tossing around ideas.

The photos are from the weekend. Tom loves to cook. In the 40’s and 50’s, I would have been considered a bad wife. I hate cooking. I should say I like to do it, but it takes so much time and makes such a mess. My contribution for this particular meal was to clean the sweet corn. With that note, you will have to wager your own guess on our home state. I love to bake and have canned in previous summers. I am thinking of freezing sweet corn. Tom considers this his down time after work to relax and transition from work. I think it is great, and I not so willingly clean up the mess.

I hear cheerios hitting the floor. Time to go.



No comments: