Saturday, August 21, 2010

Three cheers to my sanity - school's starting!

We had the opportunity to drop off school supplies yesterday. Our school allows us to come early making the first morning of school less chaotic. It was almost surreal to take my child into a 3rd grade classroom. I wish I could report that Eli is overjoyed to go back to school. His standard line is, “but Mom it’s so boring.” My standard response is “tough.” Then I give the tired lecture of all parents about being thankful for education. I continue my lecture with the conclusion of children in the world giving anything for his many opportunities. To which, Eli holds in an eye roll. In Eli’s world, there are too many other important things to do. After all, a battle is constantly being waged between Star Wars Lego characters.



As Eli put things away and chatted with his new teacher, Sidney quickly got over her disappointment that she was not going to school. Her assumption that she also needed her “pack pack” was understandable. She will go next year to a 3 year old preschool program 3 mornings a week. Can you tell I am excited? I think it must be about the hundredth time I have mentioned it. Tom is in the trades and works VERY long hours. We made the mutual decision there would be no balance if I went back to work after Eli was born. I enjoy working and contributing, so that is why I write on contract from home. It is something I envision doing a lot more of once Sidney is in school. This is not to say I don’t enjoy being home. I love the fact that both kids are with me.


Our other adventures this week included a trip to see my brother and sister in law for a day. They live in a neighboring state; however we are close enough to travel there and back in a day. Our nephew is a year old. It is fun to watch Sidney interact with her cousin. It is obvious that she has a lot experience with babies. She is a nurturer. Despite her pinching and hitting when we first came home, she becomes very gentle when we are around a baby.


It is obvious she has witnessed the care of a large number of babies at one time. She typically lays her dolls all together in one area or in rows. She runs to the kitchen and grabs a towel out of the drawer and covers them up. This is only after I hear her shushing each baby to sleep.


Off to clean.

1 comment:

Jen said...

Enjoy the start of school! I know I will!