Thursday, May 20, 2010

Sweet Sweet Slumber

Sidney is wolfing down goldfish, and I am taking a break from walking and playing outside. Her appetite has increased since surgery. This is positive for several reasons. She was underweight due to giardia when first coming home and at one point was down to just over 15 lbs. She gained about three pounds after the parasite was eliminated. Factoring in what she weighed prior to surgery, we think she has gained a minimum of half a pound since January. She is somewhere around 18.5 lbs to 19 lbs. If you are not in the adoption world, this is not abnormal by any means, given her petite size.


Eating has always been a bit difficult. When we first came home, it was difficult to get her to sit at the table which is fine, we can be flexible. She was happiest when I sat on the floor, to feed her with her standing next to me. I have seen photos of orphanages during a meal, and the nanny is typically sitting on the floor feeding the child. My dad also indicated to use a bowl. He spent a lot in time in Asia in the military when he was younger. He has given a lot of great insight.

Now she sits at the table during dinner but waxes and wanes on the length of time. When she is ready to get down, we typically let her mill around the kitchen. Once Eli and Tom have left, I try to get her to eat more. She is not good eating in a large crowd with a lot of noise and chaos.

We battled sleep for a couple of nights, but this seems to be improving. She is still anxious when it is time to lay down, but after some cuddling, she is okay. This is definitely easier than two hours in the middle of the night.

The cast comes off a week from today! We are more than excited, and we know Sidney is ready. This cast was more difficult than the first. The cast itself is great and has not come off, however it is obviously restricts her mobility. With the limb difference the extra weight changes her balance. A majority of the time, the cast is no big deal, but I know she will be happy to have a bath without the gallon ziplock sealed around her arm.

Meanwhile, Eli is on a countdown of his own. A week from today, summer break begins. Eli is resourceful and does a great job entertaining himself but likes to test mom’s patience. I guess this is no different than any 7 year old. It will be great to have him around as he does a wonderful job entertaining his sister.

OK, off to find more work. I am bidding on more outsourcing jobs, so hopefully something pops up this week. Unfortunately or fortunately (I am not sure if it is good or bad), I am a stay-at-home mom needing to use my brain. It might be easier if I did nothing. However, I have learned so much. When else would I have learned about mining in Australia, grocery retail in former soviet countries, the southern coastal tourist areas of England, or any of the other many, many things I have written about? It satisfies my curiosity while allowing me to be at home.

1 comment:

Rachelle said...

Glad to hear she is gaining weight and the cast will be off soon... what a relief that will be! Good luck with the job hunt!