Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Without boring my audience too much, we are enjoying warm weather and spending lots of time outside. This equates to Sidney taking longer naps and this makes me happy. Of course, any additional time this week has been spent preparing for a garage sale. Our community is the most zealous I have ever seen about finding a good deal.

I caught these photos of Sidney mastering the stairs on her bottom. She must have done this twenty times. Mom insisted that Eli pose with his new haircut. He wanted it shorter, because it was getting hot on the playground. By the way, the Arizona Wildcats shirt from my uncle and aunt has become a favorite. Each time Sidney puts it on I have to give the obligatory roar and she reciprocates. Sidney loves cats. I am sure animals are fascinating, because her exposure was limited in China. I still laugh about our guide in China pointing to a dog and saying “hot pot.”

We will keep everyone in the loop on her surgery. T Minus 2 weeks from tomorrow. On May 26th, we have a genetics appointment. In this appointment, we will find out more about the reasons for Sidney’s anomalies. Before traveling to China, we were unaware that her hands are a result of her leg or fibular hemimelia (missing the fibula bone on her left leg and four toes, a common result of the condition). I have done hours, and I do mean hours of reading, online about her condition. I was able to find only a small percentage of children with this condition have issues with internal organs. Of course, this needs to be ruled out. The thought of any more issues is concerning, however we know there is someone much greater in charge of her care. Genetics has advised us she will need an echocardiogram and ultrasound of her internal organs. This will all happen after her surgery, probably in June.

For now, we are content watching Sidney’s personality continue to unfold. She has definitely become more outspoken. When she doesn’t like what I am telling her to do, she tries to shush me. She can also hold her own with her brother. He, on the other hand, is not looking forward to another cast. She has accidentally clubbed all of us on more than one occasion.

OK, off to enjoy the sound of two children sleeping or absolute silence!

2 comments:

Lisa said...

In the last picture you can really see her personality!!! So cute and look how long her hair is getting!!!
I'll be praying about surgery and the cast clubbing to follow :0)

Rachelle said...

She is just beautiful.

Silence is golden...