Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Sinusitis & Summersaults





I can count the number of times Tom has stayed home from work for illness on one hand. Yesterday was one of those days. Mom was down for the count, as well as Eli. Sidney appears to be getting over the funk. Eli and I hauled our sick selves into the doctor and were immediately prescribed antibiotics. The photos above are Eli attempting to look sick for the photo. Where does he get this flare for drama?

We will not be visiting genetics with Sidney today and will reschedule for the second time. This is driving me crazy! We already had a screening with the genetic counselor on Monday over the phone.

She had several very interesting questions. “Do her thumbs look normal?” Yes. When we received Sidney’s referral a Chinese pediatrician from Des Moines advised that if she has thumbs it is a positive sign that Sidney’s condition is not part of a greater syndrome. “Are her teeth straight?” Yes. “Is she able to use her hands?” Yes. I wished the genetic counselor could only be a fly on the wall. “Have you had her assessed by AEA (at least I think that is the proper acronym)? No. There is nothing we have witnessed in 6 months that she struggles to do. “What about a computer and if she needs to type?” I was thinking, have you seen my husband type? She advised that we might want to have her assessed prior to starting preschool or kindergarten. We will cross that bridge later.

As Sidney heals from her surgery, we see a completely different person from 6 months ago. Gone is the vacant and stoic eyes of a child which has experienced too much for her age. Gone is timid behavior around Tom and I. What is left is a happy two year odl that is learning to be a kid. She finally smiles while she is playing and openly laughs when we play with her. We play Nadia Comaneci as Sidney puts her head to the floor ready to go over in a summersault. This was something she learned in the orphanage. One of the first days home, she put her head to the floor with her backside in the air, and looked at us like, don’t make me wait forever, roll me over. Now she now rolls over by herself. I never would have thought of putting her into gymnastics, but she loves rolling around and having mom flip her off her lap. There is a small program in our community, so I am thinking one night per week might be fun for her after she turns two.

Speaking of performing, Eli did taekwondo in his schools talent show. As we were driving to school, he said, "Mom I can't wait to get on stage." Wow! He is sure of himself. It is so cool to have a child that is not shy and makes friends with anyone he meets. He did a great job. It was one of those moments as a parent I was thinking, see all those people looking at MY CHILD!

OK, back to the writing that pays instead of the writing that I love.

A medical sidenote: Sidney’ hand continues to heal well and the scabs are falling off her fingers. We were on the phone with the resident on call in Iowa City last weekend. Tword the base of the fingers the skin is a bit raw and oozing, The doctor in training advised this was very normal with skin grafts. We were relieved and happy not to make another trip to Iowa City. Instead, we were instructed to wrap guaze around the outside of the fingers and not between. I asked Tom how this could possibly work as the fingers almost looked like they could grow together. I guess I need to relinquish control to the medical experts as this worked.

4 comments:

Rachelle said...

Glad to hear she is healing. Hope you are all feeling better soon as well.

Lisa said...

So sorry you are not feeling well. I'll be praying that the antibiotics help and that Sidney's hand continues to heal well.

KayLi was taught to do summersaults before she came home too. Shocked us to death when she just started doing them over and over!

The Walrond Family said...

so exciting to see her surgery went well!! what a cutie

Love for Lilly Yin said...

What beautiful children you have! I love the name Sydney. I should have listed it on the names thread.

Fellow Rqer