Saturday, November 28, 2009

Drumsticks and Fevers




I realized I have been neglecting my blog. I picked up a couple of writing contracts, so by the time I am done writing for pay, my ambition is minimal.

This week was one of maternal challenges. Eli and Sidney are recuperating from a bad cough and a fever. This is the first time we have gone through a fever with Sidney. As the digital thermometer ticked off, climbing higher and higher, I felt the familiar pit in my stomach. I have determined it is the loss of control that kills me. Of course, it didn’t help that mom was chiming into the chorus of coughs and wining with her own nasty cough. Getting sick alongside your children for lack of anything positive to say about the experience sucks! Sidney, Eli, and I are all on antibiotics.

I was unaware Tom could move so quickly as he did the night this all began with Eli loosing his lunch upstairs. Somehow Tom made it across the hall to the bathroom in a single leap when Eli gave the look of panic. Luckily, Sidney spared us the first step and went straight for the fever.

Tom and I made a joint decision not to drag anyone into the cesspool or to go anywhere. Instead we had Thanksgiving at our house. As the smell of turkey wafted through the house, Sidney, Eli, and I snuggled on the couch and watched the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade. I could not think of a more perfect Thanksgiving. I found Eli especially fun this year. He was feeling quite a bit better and assisted Tom with preparing the meal. For those of you who have not been in our home, Tom loves to cook, grill, and generally play host when we have people over.
I was quite shocked at Eli’s level of genuine excitement and enthusiasm over an 8 lb bird. Tom’s meal was great. We have so much to be thankful for that we did not care about a little flu just about being together as a family of 4.

1 comment:

Rachelle said...

Glad you guys had a great Thanksgiving!